- Q: How many students can my school bring to the contest?
A: You may bring a maximum of ten students per grade level from your school.
- Q: What exam will my student be taking?
A: Students in grades 7, 8, and 9 will take the Junior Exam, while students in grades 10, 11, and 12 will take the Senior Exam.
Q: Where can I find practice tests to study?
A: Click the "Past Exams" link in the left navigation and you will be able to view past exams and their corresponding answer keys.
- Q: Why are no calculators allowed?
A: We cannot monitor all the calculators that would make cheating possible; for example, some calculators can now communicate with each other. The exams are designed to be done without a calculator.
- Q: How is the exam scored?
A: A correct answer is worth 4 points, an incorrect one is -1 point, and a blank is 0 points. That way, the expected score for guessing is 0 points, the same as leaving each answer blank. If one answer can be eliminated, guessing one of the other four possibilities is a good strategy.
- Q: What do the Teachers and Bus drivers do while the students are taking the exam?
A: We will serve a continental breakfast and a sack lunch for the accompanying teachers in the TSC ball room. We will also have interesting activities, and plenty of tables set up for chatting and relaxing. The teachers will be able to pick up the exam solution keys (after all tests have started) in order to review them and ask any questions. This should be an enjoyable and productive time for the teachers, as well as the students!
- Q: Should I bring any money?
A: Lunch is provided for participants. However, there will be other activities on campus participants might want to pay for.
- Q: What else should I bring to the exam?
A: Each student should bring a #2 pencil.
- Q: Can you save on the registration fee by not eating lunch?
A: The registration fee is the only funding we have, and is necessary to run the competition. We are not able to give discounts, even if you decide not to eat lunch after the exam.
- Q: I calculated my score (with the key posted online) and it doesn't match my published score. Why?
A: We use a machine to grade the student exams (scantron sheets). If you didn't erase a wrong answer sufficiently, the machine will think you answered the question with two choices, rather than one. In that case, you will get it wrong. Also, if you don't fill in the bubble completely, the machine will miss it. We do not hand grade any exam. As a student, you must take the time to fill in the bubbles completely and erase erroneous answers completely.
- Q: Can I ask questions of the proctor during the exam?
A: No. To be fair to all students, we will not answer any questions during the exam.
- Q: What should I do if I have a special need during the exam, e.g. I have to use the bathroom or I notice someone cheating?
A: Please walk up to the proctor quietly and explain your need or concern immediately. The proctor will be glad to help you.